This is a full-time, temporary position of up to 5 months. This position is in the Department of Biology. This position is located at the Tyson Research Center in Eureka, Missouri. The position is scheduled to begin around August 2019. The technician will conduct plant ecology research in the field and laboratory and work closely with Jonathan Myers on tasks related to data collection, data entry, and project maintenance. The position will be based in the Department of Biology and the Tyson Research Center.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Work collaboratively with a research team on two large-scale, forest-ecology projects at the Tyson Research Center. Field tasks include:
- Tagging, identifying, measuring, and mapping seedlings and trees.
- Implementing seed-addition experiments.
- Collecting seeds from seed traps; measuring environmental variables.
- Maintaining mammal-exclosures, plots, and seed traps for field experiments.
- Assisting with the mentoring and supervision of undergraduate students and high school students in field and lab research.
- Entering data using Microsoft Excel.
- Performing laboratory work including:
- Seed sorting, identification, and viability tests.
- Measuring plant functional traits.
- Assisting with other field or shadehouse experiments at the Tyson Research Center.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Forestry or related field.
- Experience conducting ecological field research.
- Desire to participate in ecological research and to learn new field and laboratory skills.
- Ability to walk long distances and work in steep terrain in cold or hot weather.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and to work well with a team in the field and laboratory.
- Ability to manage concurrent tasks.
- Ability to communicate well with research supervisor and other research group members.
- Missouri Class E Drivers License.
- Experience with plant identification, especially in temperate forests.
- Experience conducting independent research and working with a research team.
Candidates can apply by navigating to https://jobs.wustl.edu/ and searching for the job opening number 44760.