Assist in plant maintenance in the Biology Greenhouse, growth chambers facility, the Eisendrath garden, and interior landscape within the Biology department on the Danforth Campus.
This position is part-time and works approximately 20 hours per week, including one weekend day. Occasional holiday work hours may be required. This position is in the Department of Biology. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the School of Arts & Sciences.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Re-pot, water, fertilize, relocate plants in the greenhouses, garden, and growth chambers.
- Assist in maintenance of plant growth facilities and infrastructure, such as cleaning, washing reusable containers, and moving supplies to needed areas. Provide assistance and/or guidance to growers as appropriate.
- Monitor room temperatures and growing conditions while doing the work and call for assistance when needed.
- Advice faculty and students in determining proper protocol for plant care.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Associate degree in horticulture and one year of experience working in a greenhouse or equivalent work experience and some horticulture education for mulitple years.
- Demonstrated understanding of plant care, including watering, fertilization, and pest identification.
- Ability to fulfill physical requirements of the job, including lifting/moving 45 lb. bags of soil, moving loads of trays and pots, dragging hoses, and being on one’s feet for hours.
- Dependability is a must for the well being of the plants.
- Ability to work independently and problem solve, especially on weekends, and exercise good judgment in determining appropriate amounts of water to apply to match the needs of different plants and growing conditions.
- Ability to follow and implement directions.
- Ability to recognize signs of pest infestation or watering issues and equipment problems, modify treatment accordingly and seek input from the greenhouse supervisor in a timely manner. Failure to do so can result in destruction of long term research project, jeopardize careers, and waste scarce resources.
- Associate degree in horticulture.
- One year of experience working in a greenhouse.
Salary Range: The hiring range for this position is $13.23 - $16.53 per hour.
Please note the following conditions of the work environment: Typical greenhouse and growth chamber conditions—dirt, dust, fertilizers, chemicals, stooping and bending, standing and walking on hard and slippery surfaces, frequent lifting of 45 lb. bags of soil, and coping with heat and humidity indoors and outdoors.
Internal Applicant Instructions: Please attach a copy of your most current signed performance evaluation (completed within the last 18 months) to your online account. If you have not received a performance evaluation, you may provide two current signed letters of recommendation (written within the last 18 months), preferably to include one letter from either a current or recent former supervisor. To attach these documents, go to: My Career Tools, Add Attachment, Attachment Type – Performance Reviews or Letters of Recommendation.
To apply, go to jobs.wustl.edu and search for 46807.